Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Kwek-kwek



This is one of the best street food ever. I had to buy some so I could take a photo of it. I bought this off a food cart inside the grocery, but the truth is, the ones from the street vendors taste waaaaaaaaaaaay better. Possibly because of the exposure to the fumes. ;)

The orange coating is a flour batter mix, with food coloring, I'm sure. It is crispy on some spots and a bit chewy on others. The quail eggs are hardcooked, peeled, dipped in batter and then deep fried.

It comes with a choice of spicy vinegar or sweet sauce or a mix of both. I prefer the sweet sauce, but the stall I got this from didn't have it. They had the store bought (hygienic) sweet and sour sauce. Personally, I like the ones that are brown and murky with fishball in it, from the street vendors.

Also, on the streets, if you buy this, they will fry it for you, but you'll have to be the one to pick it out of the fryer using a barbeque stick.

They normally cost three pesos a piece now.

One piece fills up my entire mouth, enough to keep me from speaking. I like the size of it. When I bite down slowly, there is that tension, where the surface of the egg (with the batter stuck to it) gives in but does not break right away. When it does break, the powdery yolk comes out and mingles with the sauce. And I chew away until the egg is no more.

I can eat eight of these with no problem at all, but I don't do that all the time. Four quail eggs is equal to one chicken egg, but I am not sure about the protein and cholesterol contents, so eat at your own risk. :)

But it is one of the guilty pleasures of a 'bad food' addict like me.

No comments:

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 078c4c0cbc1e83019920e3dce1a1adc3