Estimated Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Makes 2-4 servings
Lechon Kawali Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lbs pork liempo (pork belly)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 pcs. bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- water, for boiling
- oil (for deep frying)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced or 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- chili peppers (optional)
In a pot, combine pork slices, water, salt, and bay leaf. Boil over medium heat until almost all the water has evaporated. Remove the pork then drain it with strainer or paper towel, and cool.
Preheat wok with oil. Deep-fry the pork slices over medium heat until golden brown. Drain and cool.
Chop the pork into 1-inch slices. Serve warm with sauce like catsup (or ketchup), garlic-vinegar dip, soy sauce and vinegar, or soy sauce with lemon, lime, or calamansi.Or, mix all the sauce ingredients and serve lechon kawali while it’s hot.
- 1 ¼ cup pig liver paste (use a food processor to liquefy slices of liver)
- 2/ 3 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Heat a pan and put-in the cooking oil.
- 2. When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic and onions until the texture becomes soft.
- 3. Put-in the liver paste and cook for about 5 minutes in medium heat while stirring.
- 4. Add the vinegar and bring to a boil. Stir for a minute.
- 5. Pour-in water and bring to a boil.
- 6. Stir-in the brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
- 7. Add the bread crumbs and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- 8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9. Turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool down.
- 10. Place the sauce in a blender then blend for a minute.
- 11. Transfer the sauce in a serving bowl.
- 12. Serve along with the Lechon Kawali. Share and enjoy!